TRAGIC: Property Worth Millions Destroyed As Fire Guts Christ Embassy Lagos

Property worth millions of naira were, Tuesday,
destroyed when fire consumed the main
auditorium of Christ Embassy Church, located on
Billings Way, Ikeja, Lagos.
When Vanguard visited the scene, it was gathered
that the fire started at 6.30pm from an apartment
which housed about 14 power generating sets.
It was further learnt that the fire started as a result
of power surge from one of the generating sets.
Sources said that immediately the church
members noticed the fire, they tried putting it off
with their in-house extinguishers.
However, the fire escalated and spread to the
church main auditorium. The church management
declined speaking on the incident.
An eyewitness, Mr. Oladele Akintayo, said: “Before
the arrival of the emergency teams, several
property had been destroyed by the raging
inferno.”
General Manager of Lagos State Emergency
Agency, LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke Osanyintolu and
Director of Fire Service, Mr. Rasaq Fadipe, said that
the fire raged for about three hours before it was
finally put out by the combined team of the
emergency agencies at the scene.
Oke Osanyintolu said: “There is no casualty, but
one of the fire service men sustained injury. The
church lost a number of power generating sets and
other property.”
According to Fadipe, “it was a very serious fire
outbreak. The fire involved the generator house. A
lot of armoured cables were also affected by the
inferno. They have about 14 big generators that
were affected and the church’s stationary diesel
and petrol tanks.
“However, with the effort of the fire service
officials, we didn’t allow the tanks to burst. And we
also prevented the fire from spreading to the air
conditioner house.”
He blamed the church for the extent of damage,
saying “when my men arrived the scene, they were
restricted by the church members who wanted to
take over the affairs of putting off the fire.
“I had four fire trucks on ground from Ilupeju, Isolo,
Ikeja and Alausa with 10,000 tones of water each
and 18 factory-fitted generating sets to combat the
inferno.
“The fire involved the power house and the
warehouse, where compressors were stocked. We
faced serious interference from the church
members.”

BBM PIN:21712DE7
FB:facebook.com/albeemustical
twitter:@iam_halbee
☎08060502277,07015226271

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s